History of the Business Improvement District
Long-term community commitment to the revitalization of downtown Pocatello was demonstrated when City Ordinance No. 2390 was adopted in 1991, establishing the Downtown Business Improvement District (BID). BIDs are a popular economic development tool used by communities across the country; the form they take is dictated by state law. The Downtown BID was created by the Pocatello City Council in response to a petition of downtown property owners who agreed to pay a yearly assessment based on the 1990 value of their properties. Every year since then, the City Council has contracted with Old Town Pocatello, Inc. to manage and administer revenues collected from the BID, establishing a long-term funding source for the implementation of a comprehensive program. The purposes of the BID, according to the ordinance, are:
- Hiring staff as needed for the district to assist in general promotion of trade and business activities in the district (includes costs of rent, utilities, supplies, postage, and equipping an office with suitable equipment and furnishings)
- Capital improvements (physical improvement and decoration of public space in the district, including, but not limited to landscaping, facade improvements, and so forth)
- New business development (travel, recruitment, meals)
- Promotion of public events which will take place within the district
- Acquisition, construction or maintenance of parking facilities for the benefit of the district
- Operation of transportation services to promote retail trade activities within the district
The Downtown BID encompasses the historic buildings to the immediate east and west of the Center Street underpass. On the west side of the tracks, the BID roughly stretches from Wyeth to Whitman, U.P. Avenue to Garfield. On the east side, the BID boundaries form a square around East Center: First Avenue to Third Avenue, Clark to Lewis.
Property owners within the Downtown BID form the membership of Old Town Pocatello Inc. and have voting rights in the organization.
Shop, Dine & Play in Old Town Pocatello
Old Town Pocatello, Inc.
420 N Main St
Pocatello, ID 83204
Portneuf Valley Farmers Market Now Open!
The premier farmers market in our area is now open from 9am to 1pm every Saturday through October 26. The Market is also open every Wednesday from May 22 to Aug 28 from 5-8pm in conjunction with Revive @ 5. Located at the Old Town Pavilion, 420 N. Main St.
KIND Community Kick-Off Celebration
LET'S CELEBRATE KINDNESS! Kind Community's 5th Annual Kick-Off to KIND WEEK is on Monday September 16! We invite you to join us at the FREE, family-friendly community street festival in Old Town Pocatello from the Center Street Underpass to Main Street.
First Friday Art Walk
The October First Friday Art Walk will be held in locations throughout Old Town on Friday October 4. The festivities will begin at 5pm and will include local and regional art, live music, food, wine tasting and more. Plan now to come stroll through Old Town and enjoy the charm of our monthly Art Walk!
Connect with us on Facebook and keep up with all the events, exciting shopping opportunities and all the great food at our collection of ethnic restaurants.