History of the Business Improvement District
Long-term community commitment to the revitalization of downtown Pocatello was demonstrated when City Ordinance No. 2390 was adopted in 1991, establishing the Downtown Business Improvement District (BID). BIDs are a popular economic development tool used by communities across the country; the form they take is dictated by state law. The Downtown BID was created by the Pocatello City Council in response to a petition of downtown property owners who agreed to pay a yearly assessment based on the 1990 value of their properties. Every year since then, the City Council has contracted with Old Town Pocatello, Inc. to manage and administer revenues collected from the BID, establishing a long-term funding source for the implementation of a comprehensive program. The purposes of the BID, according to the ordinance, are:
- Hiring staff as needed for the district to assist in general promotion of trade and business activities in the district (includes costs of rent, utilities, supplies, postage, and equipping an office with suitable equipment and furnishings)
- Capital improvements (physical improvement and decoration of public space in the district, including, but not limited to landscaping, facade improvements, and so forth)
- New business development (travel, recruitment, meals)
- Promotion of public events which will take place within the district
- Acquisition, construction or maintenance of parking facilities for the benefit of the district
- Operation of transportation services to promote retail trade activities within the district
The Downtown BID encompasses the historic buildings to the immediate east and west of the Center Street underpass. On the west side of the tracks, the BID roughly stretches from Wyeth to Whitman, U.P. Avenue to Garfield. On the east side, the BID boundaries form a square around East Center: First Avenue to Third Avenue, Clark to Lewis.
Property owners within the Downtown BID form the membership of Old Town Pocatello Inc. and have voting rights in the organization.
Shop, Dine & Play in Old Town Pocatello
Old Town Pocatello, Inc.
420 N Main St
Pocatello, ID 83204
February First Friday Art Walk February 2! Old Town will be alive with crowds on February 2nd as we host the February First Friday Art Walk. Don't miss this opportunity to view and experience art by local artists as well as regional and national artists. The walk includes over twenty businesses, restaurants and galleries, some with art on display, some with the artist on hand and some providing a live demonstration. Refreshments are always available. You may also find live music along the way. All local residents and visitors are welcome. There is no charge to attend monthly Art Walks.
Find the perfect gift to make your Valentine very happy this year in Old Town Pocatello. Share the love and shop local!
Idaho Bridal Fair
The premier bridal show returns to Pocatello from 10am to 4pm on Saturday, March 3. Bridal registration and vendor registration is now open. Click here for details!
8th Annual Gate City Brewfest
It's time for the largest beer tasting event in our area! Old Town is the place to be for Gate City Brewfest. Buy your tickets today! Click here for details and tickets!
Connect with us on Facebook and keep up with all the events, exciting shopping opportunities and all the great food at our collection of ethnic restaurants.